Author Topic: Tiered Skills! Assistant Desired!  (Read 63321 times)

sera

Tiered Skills! Assistant Desired!
« on: September 08, 2015, 10:25:45 AM »
All right, guys!  This is an idea i've been wanting to get into place for awhile.  Unfortunately, i got very sick. |D;;;  And have not been able to work on this further.  Please read over this and let  us know in a reply if you'd like to see this developed the rest of the way.

If so, i would LOVE to get some help in coming up with the skills, unique things, etc!  ^^ 

Skill Trees Overview
Skill Trees are the way to expand your Kin's abilities both in battle and throughout their lives.  Through training and hard work, your Kin can power up their skills or abilities, even to the point of investing in unique skills or items!

When you unlock a skill, you then have access to Tiers.  Unlocked skills begin at Tier 1, with one exception during Character Creation.  That will be explained in the proper section.  Currently, Tiers 1-5 are available for unlock.  Tiers can be seen as a general level of ability within that area of expertise.  For example, you could unlock Offensive Melee Longsword Tier 1.  Being a higher Tier than another character does not guarantee you'll win, however!  Merely that your level of expertise is higher than theirs.

Within each Tier you may unlock Skills.  Skills give an extra flourish to your talents through specific attacks, abilities, or merely flashiness.  They can be thought of as having a higher likelihood of working versus general level of expertise.  Like Tiers, Skills can be ranked up.  Going back to our longsword example, you could unlock Overhead Strike: A powerful swing over one's head that leaves an opening in one's defenses.  Rank 1. 

Points and Upgrades
But how do I pay for such amazing things? you may be wondering.  Fear not, for your explanation awaits!  For each RP post of at least 100 words, you gain one point for that character.  Yes, this means that you must keep track of your character points if you'd like to be able to spend them!  [We trust you to take care of this yourself, but we will do periodic checks to be certain no one is fudging their numbers.  Cheaters will be stripped of all skills, so don't let this be you!] 

As you level up your GroveKin and their skills, you may decide it's time to go fancy.  If a skill is ranked up high enough, it can become a sort of SuperSkill and max out!  Be aware that skills will be balanced, so the more points you put into a skill, the more likely it is that it will have a nasty backlash to it! 

However, you are also allowed to purchase unique skills or items, ones that are for your character alone.  These will also have pitfalls built in to them to keep things balanced.  You may come up with a basic idea on your own or work with a mod.  All powered up and unique skills/items must have mod approval before they may be played on the board.

The Skill Trees
There are two separate skill trees: Battle and Life.  Your character points may be placed into whichever tree you prefer.  Any points marked as Battle points may be used in Life, but Life points may not be used in Battle. 

Battle

Life
Offensive     Domestic
Defensive     Technical
Magic     Survival
Healing     Diplomatic
     Cultural

Bunraku

Re: Tiered Skills! Assistant Desired!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 11:19:36 AM »
If skills gain is per 100 word post, I want to suggest that you do it per every 100 words in the post, rather than each 100 word post (unless I'm misunderstanding something) that way people who like to do longer story posts wont have to split their posts for maximum point gain. AAA suffered from a 100 word per post point gain system and I don't want people to feel limited by how they can gain points for their skills here, everyone was so much happier after the conversion and wrote much longer stories.

Break me out from the prison of my own pride.